Situated on the corner of Canal Street & Princess Street, in Manchester's Gay Village, the New Union is a friendly mixed bar.
The Union Hotel was built in 1865 & the name refers to the union of countries in the Commonwealth at that time. The building's stained glass windows depict those countries including Canada, New Zealand, Australia, India & New Foundland.
Research has shown the following proprietors of the Union Tavern: 1879 John Derbyshire; 1886 Joseph Travis; 1895 Josiah Worthington; 1903 Abel Ellison.
The name was changed to Union Hotel & it was a public telephone call office by 1909 when Mrs Sarah Maclean was at the helm. By 1911 it had changed hands again to Harry Pollitt.
It has been a gay venue for as long as anyone can remember & in the 50s the owner went to prison for running a public house of ill repute.